Maryland Digital News

Officials postpone explosive precision cuts of Key Bridge

0


RESCHEDULED THIS KHIREE WEATHER. JUST NOT PLAYING IN THE UNIFIED COMMAND FAVOR TODAY. WE WERE SET TO GO THROUGH THOSE BARRIERS EARLIER TODAY TO WATCH THAT CONTROLLED DEMOLITION HAPPEN, BUT UNFORTUNATELY IT HAS BEEN PUSHED BACK. AS YOU MENTIONED, THERE ONCE AGAIN, AND THIS IS DUE TO ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS, IS WHAT THE UNIFIED COMMAND TELLS US, SUCH AS LIGHTNING, WHICH WE DID HAVE TODAY, AS WELL AS SAFETY PRECAUTIONS AND THE COMFORT LEVEL OF THOSE PERFORMING THE VESSEL SALVAGE OPERATIONS. THAT’S ALL FACTORING INTO THESE DECISIONS. SO IF YOU TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR SCREEN, THIS IS WHAT THE UNIFIED COMMAND SAYS WILL HAPPEN WITH THESE PRECISION CUTS. THEY HAVE ABOUT 50 PRECISION CUTS AND PLACED CHARGES WITHIN THOSE. AND THEY WILL ULTIMATELY DETONATE, FORCING THE SPAN OF THE BRIDGE THAT’S ON TOP OF THE DOLLY SHIP TO CRUMBLE INTO THE PATAPSCO RIVER. THEY SAY IT WILL LOOK LIKE PUFFS OF SMOKE. SOUND LIKE FIREWORKS TODAY WE HEARD FROM A PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER WITH THE KEY BRIDGE RESPONSE, AND HE SPOKE ABOUT WHAT THIS MEANS FOR THE TIMELINE OF THE PERMANENT CHANNEL REOPENING. SO ONE OF THE UNIFIED COMMANDS PRIORITIES IS REOPENING THE FEDERAL CHANNEL. AGAIN, WE’RE NOT GOING TO SACRIFICE SAFETY FOR SPEED IN ACHIEVING THAT OBJECTIVE. BUT YES, EVERY SINGLE DAY THERE ARE THINGS THAT THAT MAY HAPPEN THAT THAT PUSH BACK THE TIMELINE, BUT EVERYONE’S REMAINING FLEXIBLE. WE’RE KEEPING SAFETY AT THE FOREFRONT, AND WE’RE JUST HOPING FOR BETTER WEATHER AND BETTER, MORE FAVORABLE CONDITIONS. TOMORROW. NOW THE DEMOLITION IS NOW SET TO HAPPEN TOMORROW, MONDAY AT 5:00. AND CREWS TELL US THAT THEY WANT TO DO IT WHEN IT IS LOW TIDE TO TRY AND KEEP THAT DOLLY SHIP AGROUND. LIVE

Explosive precision cuts at Key Bridge collapse site postponed

This is the second time the Unified Command has postponed the demolition of the remaining truss on the Dali ship

The scheduled explosive precision cuts to remove the remaining part of the Key Bridge on top of the Dali cargo ship were postponed. On Tuesday, 11 News Investigates broke the news that Unified Command plans to use explosives to remove the steel beams off the ship, and that the crew members will remain on board during the detonation.”We were all set to do the precision cuts evolution (Sunday). Unfortunately, there’s several environmental factors among them that have unfortunately pushed them until (Monday),” said Nick Ameen, public information officer with the Key Bridge Response Unified Command.Unified Command said weather conditions producing lightning within 10 miles of the Dali, safety precautions, and the comfort level of the people performing the vessel salvage operations played a factor in the postponement.”All that information gets up to the Unified Command at the response and they make their determinations, whether this is a go, or are we going to take a step back and re-calibrate. So, in today’s case, that’s what happened,” Ameen told 11 News. “Whenever there is a lightning strike in the area that pushes the clock back and so that clock just kept getting pushed back and pushed back and so ultimately, we arrived at the decision to postpone until tomorrow.”He said they will aim for Monday evening because of the low tide. Crews want the Dali ship to remain aground.”A very dynamic situation that we’re dealing with here with the Key Bridge response. It’s important to note that we will absolutely not sacrifice safety for speed,” said Ameen. “One of the Unified Command’s priorities is reopening the federal channel. Again we’re not going to sacrifice safety for speed in achieving that objective but every single day there are things that may happen that push back the timeline. But everyone’s remaining flexible.”The Key Bridge Response team told 11 News there have been no indicators showing they may need to push back the overall timeline of the permanent channel reopening by the end of May.Once the demolition is complete, surveys will be taken, and the goal is to refloat the Dali ship two days after at high tide.

The scheduled explosive precision cuts to remove the remaining part of the Key Bridge on top of the Dali cargo ship were postponed.

On Tuesday, 11 News Investigates broke the news that Unified Command plans to use explosives to remove the steel beams off the ship, and that the crew members will remain on board during the detonation.

“We were all set to do the precision cuts evolution (Sunday). Unfortunately, there’s several environmental factors among them that have unfortunately pushed them until (Monday),” said Nick Ameen, public information officer with the Key Bridge Response Unified Command.

Unified Command said weather conditions producing lightning within 10 miles of the Dali, safety precautions, and the comfort level of the people performing the vessel salvage operations played a factor in the postponement.

“All that information gets up to the Unified Command at the response and they make their determinations, whether this is a go, or are we going to take a step back and re-calibrate. So, in today’s case, that’s what happened,” Ameen told 11 News. “Whenever there is a lightning strike in the area that pushes the clock back and so that clock just kept getting pushed back and pushed back and so ultimately, we arrived at the decision to postpone until tomorrow.”

He said they will aim for Monday evening because of the low tide. Crews want the Dali ship to remain aground.

“A very dynamic situation that we’re dealing with here with the Key Bridge response. It’s important to note that we will absolutely not sacrifice safety for speed,” said Ameen. “One of the Unified Command’s priorities is reopening the federal channel. Again we’re not going to sacrifice safety for speed in achieving that objective but every single day there are things that may happen that push back the timeline. But everyone’s remaining flexible.”

The Key Bridge Response team told 11 News there have been no indicators showing they may need to push back the overall timeline of the permanent channel reopening by the end of May.

Once the demolition is complete, surveys will be taken, and the goal is to refloat the Dali ship two days after at high tide.



Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.